Tuesday, September 24, 2024

A wee story about Mother Nature... just a quick one.

Just a wee story, about nature in our own backyard.  Ms. Maddie and I have a morning routine, quite a ritual actually. It involves me getting up first and usually having to wake her up (gently). She then collectsTeddy in her mouth and comes to greet me.  Teddy's a very important part of this ritual; not sure what we'll do if he ever gets lost or totally destroyed (there's not much left now ::-)  Anyway, the usual ritual is, once awakened and after the usual morning greetings (including a back scratch and a bow) we three proceed to the back door where Teddy stays behind (as enticement to return) and M heads out to do her business. Once completed, she sprints (full speed) to the back door and leaps into the air, capturing Teddy in her mouth, before continuing back into the house and to her, still warm, bed for a little more sleep.  It's a bit weird, but it works. What can I say?

This morning was different.  Maddie woke me up barking, just before 7. Hmm, that's different.. so off I padded to see what was up.  I could tell by the curtain being slightly ajar, she'd been peeking out the sliding door at the back yard; so I did too.  Seeing nothing untoward I carried on as usual but not so Miss Maddie. Nope, her butt was planted firmly on the floor in the middle of the family room and she wasn't going anywhere. This was the first time in over 5 years, she hadn't raced me to the door.   
Not too many options here. I donned my warm, plaid, working jacket and slipped on my old but functional 'duck boots' and opened the back door carefully.  Nothing. I was about to step out and decided (being the survivor I am) I'd best be armed for the unknown... so I grabbed the umbrella  :-)  Trajectory's not great, but it gives me 2-3 extra feet of distance 😁  Anyway, I stepped out, into the yard quietly and stopped to assess.  No bloodied mess on the lawn, no gate swinging open in the wind, no skulking racoon, cat or squirrel... Then I saw it.

A hawk, about the size of a raven, sat quietly on the side fence, watching me watching him or her. It sat quietly until I took a few steps towards it, and then she or he flew to a part of the fence a little further away and then headed off to places unknown.  It was pretty neat. The air was still and there was no traffic or other noise.. just me and the hawk.  

Declaring the coast clear, I invited Maddie out to do her business and she complied.  All is well in the neighbourhood/ Ahhh, great start to the morning.