Saturday, January 20, 2024

Time to get back on the horse…

When I was a little girl I was lucky enough to be taken on a trail
ride for my eighth birthday. That set wheels rolling that saw me
taking lessons and then riding and showing several different horses
(none my own but owned by folks who welcomed and supported my
participation :-) I well remember falling off ponies and horses in
every imaginable and some unimaginable ways; like the time I did a
forward roll right along the crest of Dixie's neck and through the 'V'
made by her ears, before crashing to the ground and knocking the wind
right out of me. That was only one of many acrobatic, arms flailing,
tuck and roll or just plain belly flops I did off of my beloved equine
friends: and I got right back on every single time.

So, here I am… many decades later, about to get 'back on my horse'
again; alongside Kathy and Maddie. Mother Nature has granted us a
break in the temperatures and snow. Kathy managed to get an agreeable
snow plow driver to clear our cul de sac so we can get Lucy out and
turned around and Ricky is as full as usual and decked out in new
boots (aka tires, or is it tyres)? To the desert we shall return… and
we're both looking forward to making it past Longview, WA. This time.