Saturday, February 11, 2023

Borrego Springs…a desert garden

 Catch-up time… yes it is! I’ve been negligent….caught up in the surrounding beauty of the desert, the deep and comforting joy of good friendship and of just generally having a restful and peaceful time. Even wee Maddie is getting into the swing of it.  Her anxiety around driving is relaxing (perhaps due to the short trips to the wine and beer store (oh, and groceries of course :-) and she’s enjoying the walks and hikes she’s able to join us on. She has also figured out the survival technique of moving from the sun to the shade, and back again, as required.  So, things are good here, very good. The days are flying by way too fast but I wouldn’t take back a one. We’re very glad to be here and to have the opportunity to share the beauty with friends.

I could go on, as I do most years, about the surprising beauty of the desert (photos below); but I won’t.  I’ll travel a different path today.

It seems I have a smattering of my grandparents Fred and Eva Daley in me.  In the 1950’s and ‘60’s they towed their small trailer from Vancouver to Apache Junction every winter. Now imagine with me, if you will, what that trip (there and back) must have entailed. I know how I feel today, driving on the major and not-so- major highways between here and there…but think back, back to the 1950’s, and visualize the roads meandering and rough along the route and particularly as they grew closer to the desert wilderness. Think of all the amenities we have today; supports like Rest Stops with water and washrooms, gas stations strategically placed at the edge of the highways, emergency telephone call boxes, BCAA and AAA services for flat tires, tires actually designed to withstand the rigours of long distance travel, hotels and motels to stop in if needed, RV places to stop at for the night and that offer electricity, washrooms, even a hot tub at times. Imagine all the places we can stop for groceries and grog… and then think about the 1950’s.  I believe you’ll get my point when I say “hats off” to Fred and Eva and all the other RV pioneers who forged paths and roadways into the wilderness that folks like us enjoy today… “hats off” and thank you!

Speaking of photos, the pics I’m sharing today (in no particular order as I’m just learning how to post the darn things)… include: blooming cactus and flowers on the desert sand.  We are early for the official ‘Bloom’ which usually occurs in March, but this year there was a surprise bloom in December and it’s still going strong. Not going to talk about climate change here, but….   Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos, including one of my favourite ‘seats’ with stone walls and an open to the sky ceiling, there is no better ‘place’ to ‘relax’ and now I know they are officially called “vault toilets”. There are also photos of the beautiful sunset last night and the charred Palm trees at Palm Tree canyon. Luckily the trees were not totally destroyed in the fire a couple years ago and the ground cover is beginning to recover.

That’s it for today and for a few days as we will be continuing to relax at Borrego Springs until we leave on Wednesday morning and head east into Arizona.  Hope all is well with each of you….  TTFN  CJ