Thursday, July 21, 2022

Catching up on route…

 Here it is Thursday, July 21st already.  It’s 0830 hrs and we’re preparing to leave Beach Garden Marina at Grief Point.  We had a fabulous two days at Tenedos Bay and, before that, a couple nights in Laura Cove.  I must say that Desolation Sound is far more busy in July than in May (our usual month of choice for this cruise). “Yah well Duh” you might say and you’d be right.  Suffice to say in explanation… we were looking forward to warm-water swims as opposed to teeth chattering, mind numbing, cold dips.


In my youth, sailing with my parents I would follow my mom into the water every day in the Gulf Islands and Howe Sound. She wasn’t crazy but she would dive in head first; so of course I did too. Until, one day, when my head it the water and it was so cold I thought my brain was going to explode!  From that day on I would do a lumbering stride jump (I wasn’t all that graceful) as I accompanied mom on her daily swims.

Fast forward to today, just a ‘few’ years later. Unless you can convince me the water is at least 65 degrees for the first two feet, I do the Gulf Island ladder dip. This is the manoeuvre (taught to me by a small dog years ago who didn’t like to swim but needed to be cooled off). Step one: lower a swim ladder of some sort.  Step two: being appropriately attired, slowly work you way down the ladder in stages..stopping to allow your body to cool down, and keep going until your torso is suitably submerged and the temperature is slowly adjusting.  Then, and only then, step free of the ladder and carry on swimming. It may take a little longer but the “Fun to suck” ratio is much improved.

Back to my update.  We leave Beach Gardens this morning and will be ‘off the grid’ in our favourite anchorage south of here for a few days. You know the one so I won’t name it lest the hoards of boats and people, currently advancing on Desolation Sound, think they should stop there.

Our plan after that is a short stop in Pender Harbour for groceries and then to start working our way across the Salish Sea. We hope to stop in either Anderson Bay or Sunset Cove before crossing.  That’s enough for now.  A few photos follow. (Credit to Anne & Dick - SV Full and By)

Laura Cove 


Our anchorage in Tenedos Bay

Lower Unwin Lake - a short walk from Tenedos 

A nice swimming spot on Unwin

A quick stop to check out the creek after our swim

Tenedos Bay

At Deb & Ian’s in Lang Bay - tired out after an afternoon play date,
Maddie shares the couch with her buddy Jerry,