Sunday, February 28, 2016

Things I've learned this week.....

I started this posting a couple days ago... Best get it on the wires before it's totally redundant :-)

In case you missed it...Kathy is in Kauai with her mom this week and all reports are they're having a great time. They've driven as far as they could go in each direction and saw some of the huge breakers coming in as a result of the huge bit of weather just north of them. On Monday they're going on a River Boat Tour and a Luau. Boy, do those two pack a lot in! Hopefully Kathy's taking pics and will be able to share them.

Me? I' m here, in an Apache Junction RV Park that shall go un-named. Don't get me wrong... it's great. They were kind enough to take us in during a time when there were pretty much no vacancies... and the residents are very nice... and so is the staff. The staff are so great that, when I explained why I wanted out of our contract (stuff like... too busy, too noisy, can't sleep and can't write) they very kindly found a way for me to extricate our little trailer and move on this weekend. I shall be forever grateful.

Having said that, Sophie and I have been doing pretty well living here. Our site is the smallest one and the hardest to get into (according to the park host who signed us in). It's also on a corner... the corner most doggies at this end of the parking lot (er park) use, because the site is usually empty. But the neighbours have been great and folks passing by on their orbit, either with a dog or on a bicycle... (people do laps of this place for exercise) all go by our corner during their circuits.

Living solo with Sophie is somewhat complicated as her need for 'not being left alone' has become stronger since the attack last year. I can tell you that Kathy has become quite skilled at replacing screening in the lower portion of the trailer screen door... Not that it was damaged mind you... just skillfully removed by one three-legged poodle rather unhappy at having been left alone from time to time. And further... I should say... It isn't like we're abandoning her.... but, oh for an hour or two of shopping, restaurant visits, sports like activities.... So very difficult in 80 degrees... with a lovable and charming little critter to care for. When I have had to shop I have taken to leaving the truck in whatever shade I can find, with the windows half down, and then jogging to the store, through the aisles, out the door and back to the truck before she either cooks, someone breaks into the truck, or the AZ puppy police nail me. Thank goodness it hasn't been often and usually I shop in the early morning when it's much cooler.

Let me move on by saying... Living in an Apache Junction RV Park, and in the business of the Phoenix AZ area, has been an education. This week I have learned that...

... The GPS doesn't always take you where you think you're going... (one hour too late I realized I was going in the wrong direction :-(. I think you can figure out how long I had to drive to undo my wrong-doing.

... Trying to find a nice, quiet campground - suitable for the peace of mind required for inspired word smithing - is not usually something you should do during the 3-4 weeks of American Spring Break.

... Persevering, however, may lead you to a suitable solution (have to let you know on this one).

... As long as you have email (and the ability for a little Internet research) life is OK. When you think you've lost it (and know you don't have the ability to get it back)... It's NOT.

... It is possible to trick the Princess. If you leave her comfortably ensconced in her favorite trailer seat (the camp chair is still #1) and go outside, closing the door behind you.... about three times; on the fourth 'exit & door closing' you can keep going... to the laundry, or shower, or where ever. And, if you're lucky when you return.... she'll just be glad to see you instead of screaming holy terror. She'll think you've just been outside working on the patio.

... Letting the Princess sit in her #2 favorite seat, inside the trailer, while you eat dinner... isn't a great idea... Cuz when she burps after having a big drink of water...and your books are on the table.... Well... Let's just say, most of the upcoming water wiped up and the rest soaked in :-) She now waits on the floor while I eat my dinner.

... When I was little we'd get messages from my grand parents (the ones who must have been pioneer RVers). And the one I liked the best was a photo of Grandma Daley pedaling her three-wheeler around the RV park (picture this... It was in the 1950's).. In this case... "delivering pies". I loved that photo. I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that women (some my age... but acting much older)... are still riding those three-wheelers around.

...and, lastly, I learned that if you put out your hummingbird feeder, cleverly hung from the street corner sign that graces our site (and is the only possible place one could be hung)... that no hummingbirds would visit... BUT. Take it down and wait a day... And one just about hit me while I was standing at the back of the truck. Then it checked out Rikki's hub caps and my rosemary shrub... And then didn't it just fly right into Lucy, hovered a bit in front of Sophie... and then flew out and was gone.... Cheeky bugger. The Princess slept through the whole thing :-)

Sunday, that's today now, we head out... away from the congestion of town and into the hills and surrounding desert. Canyon Lake Marina and Campground have agreed to take us in for the next eleven days. I am anticipating clear skies and brilliant stars, morning and afternoon three-legged walks, great views of a desert lake reputed to have the largest Bass fishery... ever... And well, just some good old peace and quiet (except for the coyotes at night of course :-)

We've had the great pleasure of reconnecting with old friends who winter down here and will be seeing more of them over the next couple of weeks. Kathy returns next Thursday (March 3rd).

Know we are well.... And we wish the best for you and yours... (and fingers crossed this crazy US election settles down into some realistic outcomes). I will try to post some photos in the next few days... provided we have Internet connection at the lake.

Ttfn. CJ





Sent from my iPad