Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Wake up call....

Woke up this morning... feeling a little lonely... but only for as long as it took me to get dressed and head out for a morning walk. So many friendly folks; "buenos dias, how are you?" "Bien gracias". Over and over again as I walked. Pretty nice.

I left in a bit of a rush this morning... didn't want to be late for the Tuesday morning Farmer's Market I'd heard about. Turns out I was a couple hours early, but they took my business anyway... and I left with the things I'd hoped for.

When I got back I checked my email...like you would. And there was a message from my sister telling me about the big Tsunami that (didn't) hit Vancouver Island! Shamed... I was ashamed I hadn't known. And, I hadn't known because I hadn't checked our local (that'd be BC) news. As the day has unfolded, I've thought of that situation often; and I've realized something.

Back in 2007, when Kathy and I travelled to Europe, BC news wasn't really available. We had very little internet and BC, well that news just didn't make it to the world stage. In fact, Canada barely earned a mention. Because of that, we started watching and listening to world news and OMG the things we learned. We've been followers ever since; even though the tragedies people are living through and the horrible living conditions so many have come to call 'normal'... and the politics (I can't even pretend to understand, but I can follow along) are so upsetting. It is what our world has become. And, as we live our day to day lives; many of us in, what to others, is the lap of luxury, I recognize we are the lucky ones.

I'm sorry I wasn't up to date on the news at home; and am I ever glad Vancouver Island wasn't swept away in an avalanche of water. But at the same time I cannot forget the folks in other countries who are suffering in ways we can't even imagine.

I think, seeing how other people in other countries manage their day to day lives has been an eye opener. I am so glad we've had these past 6 1/2 years to learn from the folks in Mexico. Their appreciation of what they have in life is wonderful. We could learn so much from just that one fact.

I'll leave you with that... and wish each one of you peace, happiness, and time with your loved ones... where-ever you call home. CJ

Posted by: Carolyn (via Kathy's Google mail profile)