Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Checking in… Jan. 13th…

Now you may think that I’ve just been partying up a storm down here, too busy to check in or to write.  Not so.  I’ve been very busy as it happens, working on the projects I knew about and on some I learned about once I got started. New boats are like your new best friend. You meet, you like, and THEN you get to learn more about the object of your attraction. I’m not complaining, just explaining why my TUDU list seems to be getting longer rather than shorter.  All I can do is keep working and, for the sake of my ego, keep a list of those things I actually do accomplish (vs. those I label with “October” or  manana). Before I go on…

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY !  You’re lookin’ good for a not so old salty adventurer..  Hope you have a great day.

As for me… I’m doing fine; getting used to sleeping in what looks kind of like a nautical warehouse (otherwise known as Shannon’s Spirit).  In case you’re wondering… no, there is no running water in the works yard (at least in the boats anyway; there are hoses here and there), yes… chamber pots are in use overnight, however, if you need it… the washroom at the end of the yard is available, … yes, you can cook (if you have propane) but then you have to do the dishes… back to no water. I’m enjoying a life of apples, peanut butter sandwiches, and BBQ chicken… and, of course, the occasional meal out with friends.

While things are pretty comfortable on board I can’t say San Carlos has much in the way of available marine parts or materials.  There is one marine store and its supplies are limited.  Its ability to order things in is even more limited.  Apparently the phrase “We’re waiting, it’s on order” is the catch phrase of the day.  Hence the need for us to have been carrying much of what we need down with us. All is not lost though, there is a radio net every morning at 0800 hrs. and one of the topics is “Swaps and Trades”.  It’s a good chance to move some of the stuff you no longer need on to others, and to acquire from others stuff you still want.  And, of course, there’s the buddy thing. That’s where friends exchange materials and give freely of things they no longer need. It all works out in the end.

Unfortunately my internet connectivity isn’t great. The marina WiFi is hit and miss (mostly miss) and seems to only come for a few seconds or minutes at a time… several times a day… without warning. So forgive me for untimely responses and/or no responses at all to your emails.  If I could figure out the photo to blog thing I’d show you some pictures… like my new “Green Flyer” (named after the old Red Flyer wagons).  It’s the bicycle I’ve borrowed and had fixed up.  Works like a hot damn… except this morning when I kind of bumped the curb (too busy talking to my friend Margie who was riding beside me) and did a slow motion crash.  I’m okay, bikes okay… just a bit of a bruised ego. Otherwise I’m really enjoying winging around on my bike. Makes me feel like a kid again… and my legs are responding to the exercise.  Seems there’s a few muscles left in there after all.  It also makes getting around so much easier.  I’m hoping I can borrow it again in October.

Well, I must get back to work.  As I sit here I can see about half a dozen projects all awaiting my attention… yikes!  I’ve only got 17 days left… better get busy.

Hope you are all well.  We’ve lost some wonderful people in the last short while.  They will be and are missed.  Take good care.. enjoy every day.  Adios, CJ