Monday, January 19, 2015

A Short History of Progress… by Ronald Wright.

Now, let me be the first to say that I am no intellect. In fact I strongly suspect I was kind of burned out by the time I retired and I’m still trying to recoup my faculties. However, I want … no I need… to tell you about a book I just read.  It’s Chucks fault really… There I was casually discussing my love of Wilbur Smith stories and Chuck up and starts talking about history. And then he starts rattling off quick descriptions of books he’s read.  I’m not sure when he had time cuz even as we’re having this discussion he’s busy chipping and painting and sawing and all sorts of things trying to get their lovely boat (SV Dream Catcher) ready for the water. You remember Margie, who was with me when I crashed my bike.. well kind of fell off slowly… anyway, Margie and Chuck have a 44’ Cal and she’s beautiful.  They have worked so hard.. redoing the entire bottom; even painted the hull sides… boat looks great… went in the water today. I shall miss them in my dusty old work yard.  Oh yeah, the book.

Well, doesn’t Chuck just sneak away into his man cave and come out with a little paper back in his hand… and he said “here, if you think you might like to learn about our history… in a hurry… here you go.”  He also said I might scare myself… and he wasn’t far wrong.  Ronald Wright has laid out, in a succinct and easily read document, the history of our species. It’s amazing; and the book covers the entire planet, refers to countless points in history where, as a species, we have yet again failed… and he shows the similarities of where we are today (his 2004) compared to where we were hundreds of years ago.  The similarities are shocking.  The potential is horrifying.  So, my friends, if you’re interested in a quick, riveting, and hugely influential ‘read’… may I recommend:

A Short History of Progress    by   Ronald Wright

I hope you enjoy it… and I hope it wakes you up as it has me.  I didn’t sleep a wink last night.. Firstly because I couldn’t stop reading… and then because of what I’d read. I’m not sure what we do about it… but it certainly has me sitting up a little straighter and paying a little more attention.  I hope you enjoy it.  CJ

PS:  I’m doing fine and working on my list of jobs.  Moved into the forward cabin… very different from sleeping on the couch.  I’m quite excited cuz Kathy has ok’d me to build another slim-line book case… like we had on Shannon.  It fits all the cruising guides and gets them out of the main cabin shelves and cupboards.  Also, a big thank you to Dennis… boat’s previous owner.  He’s continued to ‘be there’ for us and answers my questions very patiently.  Thank you Dennis and Shari.  Guess that’s all for now. Bye bye.