Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cold is relative…

Hey there… here I am writing to you from chilly Mazatlan.  I know, I know… you’re saying “get over it CJ, it’s freezing here.” I just thought I’d share with you that freezing (at least the feeling of freezing) seems to be relative too.  For instance, we arrived in La Paz on October 28th.  “Great time to arrive” they said, “it will have cooled off by then.” What were they talking about??  Nothing’s normal anymore when it comes to the weather.  We arrived in 95 degree temperatures and 90% humidity.  It was awful.  What was supposed to be done in a week, took three.  It was so hot we couldn’t even function properly when we were upright and working.  But thats ok, right?… cuz we’re in Mexico!
So, now it’s January… the ‘peak’ of winter… and I have discovered why cruisers flee south for Christmas and keep going as long as they have time. We’re in Mazatlan and it’s a great place; but I have to say, waking up to 56 degrees each morning (and hearing it’s going down to 45 tonight) is kind of bone-chilling.  “This is Mexico isn’t it?” my little frozen brain cries out.  “Oh where is that blasting heat I was complaining about last month?”
But, never mind.  We have blankets and making tea in the morning thaws the thin film of ice covering everything (just kidding).  This morning we walked (or at least I did) in full length track pants and my pull over, long sleeved, fleece top.  Sophie, well she just wore her extra long curly coat (which needs clipping very soon… except I’m worried she’ll catch a cold!). They say it’s going all the way up to 70 today.. we’ll see.  I certainly hope it does as I’ve finally broken through my ‘varnishers block’ and started working on the teak combing in the cockpit.  It has to be at least ‘room temperature’ for the stuff to go on properly :-)
Now, I’m not complaining you understand… I’m just saying…  “Cold is relative..”  But you knew that…
For those of you who are wondering… Sophie and I are doing fine.  Kathy returns to Shannon on January 25th.. and maybe, if I work hard, (and that’s relative too :-) I’ll have the boat shipshape before she gets here. We’re all very excited.
So for now….  best wishes to all of you from all of us… for a day filled with joy, peace, wonderment… and a little progress… 
Adios…  CJ