Friday, January 4, 2013

a brand new address…

Hi everyone.  Well, it was time for the good ship Shannon to seek new horizons…  not too far tho’… just far enough to get away from the festive music, the very loud festive music, of the Karaoke bar, the bingo and aqua-cize games and classes, and the weddings and concert venue directly across the channel.  My ears were starting to feel like I’d been in a modern movie theatre (you know the kind where the base is so loud your chair vibrates) without my ear plugs.  The other night a friend came over for dinner, and we couldn’t hear each other speaking… and we were inside.  So… enough said.  It was time for a change of scenery and volume level. I should say though that Marina El Cid really is beautiful.  The staff are extremely friendly, the gardens and lawns are beautiful, and the facilities are very nice.  I was honest with the office when I checked out… told Gladys about my difficulty with the noise levels.  She insisted I fill out a Customer Satisfaction Survey card.. and so I did.. as gently (but honestly) as I could.  Gladys has been so good to us (even put up with my numerous reservation cancellations and adjustments as I massaged our cruising plans based on weather, etc.  Anyway, she was very nice and suggested that with feedback like mine… things just might quieten down… you never know.

The good ship Shannon, the wonder dog Princess Sophie, and myself… are now the newest residents at Marina Mazatlan…  a brief 10 minutes further into the estuary from Marina El Cid. This is a much larger marina, without the attached resort issues.  True, there is no pool but there is a well stocked super market, three very good restaurants, a veggie guy who comes at least twice a week (and I think I heard something about a shrimp guy too), some good walking I’m told, a book exchange, a laundry and showers… and happy hours on the dock (just like Palmira in La Paz, only here they call them ‘safety meetings’ :-).  I think we’re going to like it here.  Oh yes, did I mention?  It’s quieter, much quieter.

Kathy’s not here to adjust our location on Shiptrak.. and I’m not sure you’d notice a change if she did…so you’ll just have to take my word for it.  We’ve moved and we’re happy about it.

One down-side is that the internet connection here is a little more flakey than the last place… but it does exist and I shall stay in contact as much as humanly possible.   Until I write, or you, write again…… adios amigos y amigas

Carolyn