Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ken…

We lost a wonderful man on December 10th.  Kathy’s Dad, Ken, passed away suddenly.  He was a good man, a devoted husband, a loving father, a caring friend, and an understanding confidante.  He accepted me into his clan and loved me in his special way. He was an adventurer, like my own father, and I was honoured to have been included in the last 13 years of his journey. We will miss him every day.

Needless to say, the family circle is struggling. This was totally unexpected and the shock has only begun to subside. It will take time for each of the family members and close friends to heal and to learn to live with this loss. While Ken’s passing leaves very large and vacant holes in our hearts… as always, he has led the way down the path of graceful transitions.  Ken left his mortal world, after a good day and while enjoying his favourite view of Ladysmith harbour from his hot tub.

When we received the call, Kathy and I left Shannon and Sophie in the care of friends at the marina, and returned to BC. Ken’s services went well, in fact they were quite magnificent. The church and the reception hall were packed with friends and loved ones, all gathering in his honour and in support of the family. Ken would have been pleased with the love and support that flowed throughout this sad time and I am sure it will continue as the grieving process unwinds. 

Kathy will be staying with her mom and family until at least the end of January, and I have returned to Shannon where I will have time to get to know Mazatlan better, work on the varnish, my writing and my figure. We’ll revisit our cruising plans when Kathy returns but I expect we will likely return across the Sea and spend a few weeks in the islands north of La Paz before putting Shannon to bed in early April.

I want to thank all of you for following and supporting our journey and for sharing our ups and downs with us. I, Kathy and Miss Sophie wish all of you and your families, a wonderful and joyous Christmas Season. Be good to yourselves and ring in the new year with as much ‘umph’ as you can muster… make 2013 one for the books.

Carolyn