Tuesday, October 11, 2011

still looking for that Singapore Sling...

Once upon a time... and not so very long ago.. my Dad said to me "that's a good keel, I like it" as he inspected my newly acquired boat the SV Shannon. "Why is that Dad?" I asked, not too sure where he was coming from. "Well" he said, "you can hit rocks with it." Now that may sound funny to you (and it did a bit to me at the time) but I can tell you that... he was right. When I did hit that awful rock, the soft-fronted cruising keel on Shannon rode gently up it and then slid back down. Phew. As time went by my Dad continued to bestow short phrases of wisdom upon me. Like the time he told me to start using the auto pilot (I hadn't been using it you see; too darn lazy to set the thing up). Once I acquired a modern auto-pilot and started using it, I realized how right Dad was (again). Otto steers far better than I have ever steered. He's tireless, whines a bit but keeps right on steering anyway. We would be exhausted over and over again if it weren't for Otto. Recently, while getting Shannon ready for this trip, Dad said "You need to know how much the wind is blowing. You need a wind speed indicator." I've never had one of those things, never thought I needed one, even went so far as to purchase a hand-held thingy that I could hold up into the wind and it would tell me how fast it was blowing.. if I cared... Well, Dad'd been right so often I figured I better listen to him again... and so, I got one. Wow. Is it ever cool to know what the wind's doing and from where, Seems I was very (humanly) way over-estimating the wind strengths... and causing all kinds of related trepidations therefore and thereafter. If you know what the winds doing (and from where... especially in the dark) you can make all kinds of wise(r) decisions regarding sail size, trim, etc.... Thanks Dad... right again. And then, just before we left, Dad said, "when you get to California, put your feet up on the bar and have a Singapore Sling. " Well, he'd been right so many times I figured I better honour this request too, so I just wanted you to know Dad... I'm still looking for someone who remembers what a Singapore Sling is :-) and... who will let me put my feet on their bar... AND, I want you to know I will find such a person and a bar.... so thanks for being patient.... and, thanks for being my Dad... and thanks for the wonderful advice(s).... love you lots. CJ